Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Is it coming back to normal…

I spent last weekend in Delhi for a wedding of my very close IITD pal. The wedding was lovely, beautiful and great fun.

It was great fun to catch up with the old pals… but saying this was just a metaphor as we never missed the touch with each other… we are very densely connected to each other… but still meeting in person still has its charm.

Delhi/Gurgaon were simmering at 40 degrees those two days and I was literally getting dehydrated. But I know that’s temporary as I will be headed back to ‘comparatively’ cooler Pune, which I call my home now…

As my flight was preparing to land in Pune…the pilot announced that the day is bright and sunny in Pune with temperature 40 degrees. I was taken aback, its 4pm in afternoon and I was expecting some relief from heat, especially if I am coming back from NCR…

Got down, got Auto-Rickshaw for myself and I headed back to home, and then it happened… I got caught in the thunderstorm, not that I m complaining, it was great fun and whole atmosphere was dark, cloudy, moist, wet, and chilled…

I instantly remembered my old days in Pune which I spent as undergrad student. Then also, Pune used to sizzle in summers, but only till certain extent and then the un-timely thunderstorm with heavy rain will come and make the whole city drenched and chilled at least for next few weeks…and then again the temperatures will start rising to reach some level and again the thunderstorm… this used to continue almost whole summer…

But this has stopped for last few years, when the growth of the city started, number of vehicles increased on the road, increasing the heat generated, tree cut down to widen the road and build the concrete jungle where so-called working professionals (like us) can live, etc etc. Due to all this Pune started getting hotter and hotter.

So now I was wondering, if the olden phenomenon of thunderstorms has returned to Pune for good, or it’s just another effect of widely acclaimed adversary ‘Global Warming’…

No comments: